Secure Land Communications (SLC), an Airbus business unit, offers advanced communication and collaboration solutions to gather, process and deploy intelligence. Its portfolio is tailored to the needs of Public Safety, Defence and Transport, Utility and Industry (TUI). It includes infrastructures, devices, applications and services based on Tetra, Tetrapol and Broadband technologies (either single, hybrid or multi-technology solutions). As the European leader and a key international player, SLC has customers in more than 80 countries and employs around 1,150 people in 17 countries. In Finland, Airbus Defence and Space Oy employs around 370 people in Helsinki and Jyväskylä.
We are now looking for a Component Engineer to join our team in Helsinki office to work as the central point and interface for manufacturing (HW), R&D community (HW + SW), project buyers and suppliers. Your role covers the components and suppliers’ selection, the security of supply (end of life management), the technology roadmap, the cost trend, the database management, the quality crisis and the suppliers’ relations and communication. This position requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Main role and responsibilities
- Supporting R&D/engineering, commodity, project and solutions in identifying the optimum components (hardware, software, subassemblies) to be integrated in SLC global solutions by ensuring conformity with the applicable regulations and standards (environment, safety and CE marking)
- Interfacing with R&D and suppliers for new components/solutions introduction in SLC portfolio: scope of work creation, actions follow up , progress report
- Implementing and maintaining the components coding structures (HW+SW), AVL (Approved Vendor List) and related documents in SLC product database
- Updating SLC components database according to the components market (supplier reference change and procurement specification)
- Surveying the components market and tracking the end of life notifications, checking and proposing alternatives to R&D/Engineering team for replacement as much as possible in order to secure the manufacturing capabilities
- Participating in new HW and SW suppliers’ selections and maintaining contacts with existing ones.
- Supporting the commodity/project buyers in their price negotiations by performing cost analysis. Interfacing with R&D/engineering and projects in order to deliver optimum specifications (regulations and standards) to a third party in case of external partnership for a solution development.
- Co-ordinating with manufacturing/supply chain (internally and externally) in order to address with suppliers’ quality issues.
What we expect from you
- At least 10 years’ relevant work experience
- Technical profile in engineering (design) and technical support: knowledge of electronic components (analog circuit, radio, logic, accessories and various telecom equipment like chargers, batteries, displays, servers, router, switch, etc.), knowing how to read technical characteristics, evaluating them in order to propose them to R&D, knowing how to identify and propose alternative components when they are obsolete
- Experience in configuration management and change processes.
- Ability to create and manage components and suppliers portfolios in SLC databases (70-80% of the activity is completed in connection with a PLM configuration tool Windchill).
- Ability to work with multicultural teams, internal (colleagues) and external (suppliers, industrial partners) ones
- Familiarity with industrial environments (Time to cost, Time to market, Time to quality)
- Rigour, agile and communicative working style, ability to work under pressure
- Advanced English and Finnish language skills.
What we offer
We offer you the benefits of a large company as well as many opportunities for personal development. Our employees have a tailored development plan to support their professional growth. We also have a wide range of remote training modules to ensure learning. In addition, we offer you e.g. comprehensive occupational healthcare, lunch and flex benefit and a supportive working community where you are appreciated just the way you are.
The position is permanent, hybrid remote and will start as agreed. The position also requires basic security clearance approval from Finnish authorities. To apply please send your CV, cover letter and salary expectation via the link below by August 7th 2022.
For further information, please contact the hiring manager Denis Plouseau +33 6 85 74 44 91 on Aug 2nd or 4th, at 09:00-10:00.
Read more about Airbus in Finland on:
Read more about what we do on: